Thursday, November 19, 2009

YMCA Youth in Government Bill Hearing Night

This evening I attended a Bill Hearing Program put on by the SVY Youth in Government Program (Simi Valley YMCA). I was invited by my former sister titleholder, Meghan Lopez (Miss Ventura County Intl 2009). This particular program has been her community service for a number of years and I felt honored that she asked me to attend as a guest. I cannot tell you how impressed I was with these teens and their knowledge of our Legislature. I had the opportunity to visit again with Assemblywoman Audra Strickland who was on the judging panel. I also got to meet the CEO of the Y's Youth and Government Program, Steve Wilmont. The Youth in Government program gives these teens an advantage to excel in their future endeavors. They gain communication skills, the ability to step out of their comfort zone and take risks, they learn how to negotiate and compromise, and be more open minded. What a great program that was established to benefit the youth of today. Great work SVY! I was totally impressed and inspired!


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment