Saturday, May 21, 2011

Royal Family of Temecula


When I was in foster care, I was blessed to have had the opportunity to attend a one week summer camp designed for "high risk" children such as myself who were a part of the system. Those two summers that I attended had an enormous impact on my life I still remember them like they were
yesterday. I have always told my Forever Family that one day I would give back to this camp that had given so much to me. As time went on, and my life became busier, I still found myself wishing that I could find time to help out in some way. Finally, I received a letter from a wonderful lady named Sandy Shelton, who said she was a part of Royal Family Kids Camp in Temecula. She was inquiring if I would like to be involved with their program. I immediately jumped on the offer and between Sandy, Natalie Kinsley (RFKT's Director) and myself we came up with a way to make this happen. I was honored to be asked to be a speaker at their training meeting. They wanted me to share my experience and memories of the camp and what impact it had on me. I also remembered leaving camp as a child with my accumulated camp "stuff" in trash bags, so I decided to donate a pallet full of luggage to their organization for each of the campers...just another way that Luggage of Love can break the cycle of trash bags! Finally... Sandy Shelton, Natalie Kinsley, and the whole "Royal Family" I want you to know from the bottom of my heart that you all are so very valuable in these children's lives. Though they may not show it, you have impacted them in one way or another. And for that you all are angels! Thank you for allowing me to come help you. You have truly helped me in more ways than you will ever know. I look forward to being a part of this program for a very long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment